Monday, September 5, 2011

Feeding the Hungery

I fed a hungry person today.
A starving person.
I felt good about it.
Because it wasn't me.
I was driving about in my car, and I looked over to see a homeless man digging through the trash, he was pulling out scraps of food and bags that he pawed through, finding morsels of calories to put into his body for nourishment. I wondered what it would be like to be desperate for food and actually eat it with no intention of barfing it out.
I felt sorry for the man, no telling his story. An Alcoholic maybe? Consumed by his addiction to the point of really losing it all, or Cocaine. Maybe something else, but whatever it was, I felt for him. I was scared to do so but I rolled down my window and said, "Sir!" he snapped his head toward me.
I was scared, but I said, "Are you looking for some food?" And held up the shiny green apple from my bag.
He smiled and he ran to take the apple. He smiled at me and showed that he had really straight but yellowed teeth, he was filthy, when he spoke to me I have no clue what he said, it was all mumbles and squeaks, I smiled and just said "You're welcome," and sped away as fast as I could.

He did me a favor, by taking the apple. I was going to waste the apple. If I didn't eat the apple and barf it up, I would have trashed it. So, he took the apple so I didn't have to waste it. And in turn I gave him some nourishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment